Monday, May 15, 2006

Tuna Salad Wraps


This is a delicious, colourful salad that satisfies craving and goes just as well with wine as it does with a nice, hot cup of tea. However, I must say that even though every Monday is 'Fish Day' in our house, we keep tuna consumption down to once a month to be on the safe side. http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0200.html

My daughter prefers only tuna and tomato, seasoned with salt and pepper and rolled in a lettuce leaf. I, however, prefer the whole gamut of colour!

1 can tuna
1/2 cup baby spinach (diced very small)
1 stalk celery (diced very small)
1/2 tomato (diced very small)
2 tablespoons green or red onion (chopped into small pieces)
3 tablespoons red pepper (diced very small)
2 tablespoons oil (we use grapeseed because of it's light flavour)
1 generous squeeze of lemon or lime if available
sea salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything well and roll into a lettuce leaf or just eat with a spoon.

Note: I don't particularly care for tinned salmon. However, I like the idea of mushing up the soft bones and consuming them for added calcium. A little trick I came up with recently was to mix the salmon with tuna. This seems to make a huge difference in palatability for me... and my daughter who also doesn't care so much for 'salmon salad'.

Later, I'll come and post a Tuna/Salmon Croquette recipe that increases calcium levels even more via the use of sesame seeds in the coating......... Yum!

No comments: