Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Cheese Spread Replacement

I wanted to come up with a smart name for this 'spread' but decided it would serve others better to know how I use it.

We enjoy this on crackers and celery sticks. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to try it this weekend on pizza as I've recently given up all dairy for the sake of my youngest child who is still nursing and appears to spit up and get rashy on days that I consume dairy.

Honestly, I seem to be feeling a little more energetic myself but am missing cheese more than milk.

1 cup water
1 cup cashew nuts (I used salted because it was all I could find)
4 tablespoons arrowroot OR 8 tblspns baked, heavy/dry squash SCD
2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
1 tablespoon green onion (the white part)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 clove garlic (finely chopped - if desired)
1 pinch dill weed (I used dried)

Put everything into the food processor and let really get all chopped up and mixed well.

Put into a pot and turn on low. Allow to cook for approximately 10 minutes, (until desired spreading consistency is achieved) stirring occassionally.

Place in a canning jar and keep in the fridge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kim, this is pretty good! Much better than other cheese sub recipes I've made, and better than the store-bought cheese subs I've tried, as well. This one's a keeper! :D Thanks!

myst

Kim Gray said...

I'm glad it's working well for you. I really like it too... I tend to use it a bit more in the winter than the summer for some reason.

Kind regards,
Kim